Pretty: Cute & Chic (Meet the Feminist Frockers!)


L to R: Fashion Editor Rosemary Blanch, Layout Director Jane Thorburn, Beauty & Lifestyle Editor Shitika Anand, Web Editor Anna Angel and Editor Sarah Dalton.
Just a few representatives of the Frock Paper Scissors team, these ladies are so much more than their ability to coordinate an outfit and pose for a social snap. In light of 'How much is a pretty picture worth?', I asked them this question: feminism versus frocking up, can they coexist?

While Jane is trotting around NYC with the QUT fashion fraternity, this is what the others had to say:

Sarah: "Absolutely! We live in a country where women can wear whatever they like without fear of condemnation. By 'frocking up' we are exercising our right to self-expression through clothing; something that women of other cultures are denied. If that's not pro-women I don't know what is!"

Rosie: "They do coexist, i think feminism relates to fashion in the sense of having the right to wear whatever you desire."

Shitika: "Being glamourous was once an escape for women. It was about dressing up in beautiful frocks and attending a cocktail party with their husbands and partners. Then Hollywood spelled out the real meaning of "frocking up". The sparkliest dress, satin gloves, fur coats (sorry, PETA), and the best hairdos. These days, we are bolstered by the beauty industry which pressurises young girls into looking 'media perfect' every time they step out of the house. Feminism should not be about who you're wearing, but should be about empowering yourself. Yes, feminism and frocking up can coexist, but we need to start drawing a line for ourselves. We can't let media dictate our actions."

Anna: "I think these two 'F' words have a love-hate relationship. I consider myself a feminist, like most young women, and as I see it, that comes down to being aware of my choices. Getting dressed up to the nines is something I love to do on occasion, but the most important thing is that I know I do it because it makes me feel fabulous (another 'F' word), not because I feel I should, as a female, or because I want to impress someone else. The two words get cozy together when we wear what makes us feel comfortable and confident, disregarding what society might have to say, and without judgement of other women.

This kind of self confidence can be hard to attain, and I'm not there yet myself, but it's something to work towards. A lot of us wear what we think we should feel sexy in and forget to let our own personalities come through, and we too often dedicate energy to ripping apart other women's sartorial choices. For this reason, I despise any fashion rule that says "you can't wear that". Natalie Perkins at Definatalie sticks it to the proverbial man much better than I do, but I like to think her expression "just so you know, I look amazing" fits any outfit or body, and any negativity it might attract (even when the criticism is internal)."

Yours truly,
Girl With a Satchel

0 comments: