Girl Talk: Jane Fonda on pleasing men

Girl Talk: Jane Fonda on pleasing men

“I was raised in the ’50s. I was taught by my father that how I looked was all that mattered, frankly. He was a good man, and I was mad for him, but he sent messages to me that fathers should not send: Unless you look perfect, you’re not going to be loved... When I was researching myself [for new book Prime Time], I wondered, is there a ‘there’ there? Or am I just a hollow person who gets filled up by whatever man I’m with? I’m fine with women. My problem is always with men—you know, pleasing a man, turning myself into a pretzel to be who the man I’m with wants me to be. I’m not saying that that’s gone away 100 percent, but maybe 90 percent, 95 percent even.”
- Jane Fonda, US Harper's BAZAAR, September 2011, on sale August 16.

2 comments:

Karli said...

I love this Erica. I think what she's talking about is a problem for so many women.

Jennifer Reid said...

So sad that her Dad made her feel like that :( Great to hear that she's mostly resolved it though.